What is repeat ordering?
When your doctor prescribes you the same medication on an ongoing basis, this is often done with a repeat prescription/ordering. This could be a medication for a long-term condition such as high blood pressure or diabetes. The repeat ordering is an instruction from your doctor that says you can be issued this prescription in the future without having to visit the doctor again.
Here are three benefits of ordering repeat prescriptions online:
1. Benefits to patients and carers:
- Convenient and easy access to medicine.
- Perfect understanding and appreciation of the online process. Knowing when and how to order repeat prescriptions online. Also, knowing when, and from where, it can be collected.
- Confidence that they are receiving the appropriate medicines, tailored to their needs, provided through a well-functioning system.
- Understanding of how to take or administer drugs as a result of receiving whole prescriptions with complete instructions.
- An understanding of the value and the process by which they have the opportunity to discuss their medicine with a health care expert.
- Reduced possibility for adverse incidents and adverse effects.
- Better involvement in decisions about their health care, aiding self-management. This can develop concordance, resulting in enhanced outcomes of care, lessened hospital admissions, shorter hospital stays and fewer visits to the GP.
2. Benefits to practices:
- Earlier recognition of health issues, reducing the risk of patient harm and for potential complaints and litigation.
- More manageable workload resulting from enhanced efficiency.
- Fewer patient queries reduced 'traffic' at the reception counter and enhanced the reputation of the health practice.
- Relevant and efficient use of professional and practice staff time and skills.
- A greater understanding of the process by everyone, including roles, responsibilities and timelines.
- Enhanced professional and staff morale through knowledge of a job well done.
- Improved cooperation and working relationships with other health care professionals, such as nurses, nonmedical prescribers, and community pharmacists.
- Simpler implementation of innovative initiatives that will further reduce work burden and improve the quality of care, e.g. electronic prescribing, repeat dispensing.
3. Benefits to the NHS:
- Assurance that drugs are used in a safe, effective and appropriate manner.
- Effective use, with reduced waste, of resources available to the NHS.
- Proper use of individuals' special skills and knowledge and a widening of responsibilities.
- Reduced possibility for 'near misses' and adverse events. Facilitated shared learning across the NHS to prevent them from occurring again.
Touchwood Pharmacy is known for online repeat prescription service throughout the UK. We help patients to get their medications with minimal hassle and deliver it to them directly at their doorstep through prompt and discreet delivery. Our commitment to the patient's health and satisfaction sets us apart from the rest.