NHS website - Where can I use my EHIC?

Where can I use my EHIC?

You can use your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) when you visit a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland if, for example, you are going on a holiday or business trip.

For a country-by-country guide, see travelling in the EEA and Switzerland.

When you can't use your EHIC

You can't use your EHIC if you're moving abroad to live, work or study or going abroad for planned treatment (including giving birth). You also can't use your EHIC for private medical treatment.

Travelling outside the EEA

The UK has agreements with some countries outside the EEA to provide healthcare for visitors. You do not need an EHIC to get urgent medical treatment in these countries, but you will usually need to provide documents that prove you live in the UK (such as a passport or driving licence).

For a country-by-country guide, see travelling outside the EEA.

Further information:

Online Doctor

  • Erectile dysfunction
  • Impotence
  • Weight loss & management
  • Stop smoking
  • Influenza

View all

Repeat Prescription Service

An easy way to manage your Repeat Prescription online.

  • Free Registration
  • Auto reminder service
  • Free Delivery


Common Health Questions

    • NHS video wall with stroke, diabetes, and kidney and heart?
    • Your health, your way. Your NHS guide to long-term conditions and self care?
Read More
    • Can I take cough and cold remedies while I'm breastfeeding?
    • Can I take paracetamol or ibuprofen with cough or cold medicines?
Read More