NHS website - Can I get my glasses repaired or replaced on the NHS?
Certain groups of people are entitled to help with the cost of repairing or replacing their glasses or contact lenses.
To qualify for help with the cost of repair or replacement, your glasses or contact lenses must not be covered by a warranty, insurance or after-sales service.
Children under 16 are entitled to an NHS optical repair/replacement voucher. This voucher helps towards the cost of replacing or repairing your child's glasses or contact lenses if they lose or damage them.
If you're 16 or over, you're only entitled to help with repair or replacement costs if both of the following apply to you:
- you are eligible for an NHS optical voucher
- you have an illness that caused the loss or damage to your glasses or contact lenses
Before your ophthalmic practitioner or optometrist (both of whom are qualified to carry out eye tests) can issue an NHS optical voucher to help with repair or replacement costs, it must be agreed that the loss or damage was caused by illness. For more information consult your optical practice.
What is the value of an NHS optical voucher?
The value of your voucher will depend on which part of your glasses needs to be repaired or replaced. This could be:
- one lens
- both lenses
- the front of the frame
- the side of the frame
- the whole frame
Your optical practice can tell you how much your NHS optical voucher is worth.
Your ophthalmic practitioner can tell you whether you qualify for financial help with the repair or replacement of your glasses, and give you a voucher if you are entitled to one.
Read the answers to more questions about NHS services and treatments.
- Am I entitled to a free NHS eye test?
- How often can I have a free NHS eye test?
- Why are eye tests important?
- Eye health
- Eyecare services
- Eyecare costs
- Find a local optician
- Erectile dysfunction
- Weight loss & management
- Stop smoking
Repeat Prescription Service
An easy way to manage your Repeat Prescription online.
- Free Registration
- Auto reminder service
- Free Delivery
Common Health Questions
- NHS video wall with stroke, diabetes, and kidney and heart?
- Your health, your way. Your NHS guide to long-term conditions and self care?
- Can I take cough and cold remedies while I'm breastfeeding?
- Can I take paracetamol or ibuprofen with cough or cold medicines?