NHS website - What do I do if I lose my EHIC or it gets stolen?
It depends if you're in the UK or abroad when you need to replace your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). There's no charge for replacing a lost or stolen EHIC.
Replacing your EHIC from the UK
If you prefer, you can write to:
PO Box 1114
Newcastle upon Tyne
Provide your full name, UK address, date of birth and, if known, your EHIC Personal Identification Number (PIN).
Replacing your EHIC while abroad
If you're in a European Economic Area country or Switzerland and need medical attention but your card was lost or stolen, you'll have to apply for a Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC).
Someone else can also do this on your behalf. This will give you the same cover as an EHIC until you return home.
Simply phone the Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 (0)191 218 1999, Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm. If you need to request a PRC outside these hours, call as soon as you can the next working day.
When calling for a PRC, you'll need to provide your:
- National Insurance number
- date of birth
- NHS number, if possible
- the email address or fax number for the specific department of the hospital or service where you're receiving treatment
- Erectile dysfunction
- Weight loss & management
- Stop smoking
Repeat Prescription Service
An easy way to manage your Repeat Prescription online.
- Free Registration
- Auto reminder service
- Free Delivery
Common Health Questions
- NHS video wall with stroke, diabetes, and kidney and heart?
- Your health, your way. Your NHS guide to long-term conditions and self care?
- Can I take cough and cold remedies while I'm breastfeeding?
- Can I take paracetamol or ibuprofen with cough or cold medicines?