Hepatitis B is a virus which causes an infection of the liver. It is not that common in the UK as compared to other parts of the world but certain sectors of society are at an increased risk of contracting it. If you need a Hepatitis travel vaccination in Leighton Buzzard then contact our pharmacy.
What are the causes of Hepatitis B?
Hepatitis B virus is found in the bodily fluid and blood of an infected person so this also includes semen and vaginal fluids. It is spread in various ways including:-
- By injecting drugs and sharing needles
- By having unprotected sex with an infected person
- From tattoo or body piercing equipment or dental treatment in an unhygienic environment
- By sharing razors or toothbrushes which are contaminated with blood
Hepatitis B is not spread by holding hands, kissing or by coughing and sneezing like other viruses.
What are the symptoms of Hepatitis B?
Some people with Hepatitis B will not experience any symptoms, if symptoms do develop then they tend to occur two or three months after the initial point of infection. Symptoms may include some or all of the following:-
- Loss of appetite
- Sickness, feeling sick and being sick
- Tiredness and fatigue rather like a flu virus
- Aches and pains
- Tummy ache
- Sometimes yellowing of the skin and eyes which is called jaundice
The treatment for Hepatitis B depends on how long the infection has been present. Some people only need symptomatic support whilst their body fights off the virus.
Hepatitis B prevention – seven ways to stay safe
- have the Hepatitis B vaccination if you are in a higher risk group
- Always use a condom during sexual intercourse
- Avoid sharing personal items such as toothbrushes and razors
- Take special care when having body piercings or tattoos
- Never share needles or other drug equipment
- Clean all blood spills with a diluted bleach solution
- Have the Hepatitis B vaccine if you are travelling to parts of the world where the disease is widespread
Visit our website to learn more https://www.touchwoodpharmacy.com/