One of the simplest ways to protect yourself against typhoid is to have the typhoid fever vaccine. Touchwood Pharmacy offers the typhoid vaccination in Ramsgate and we also have a typhoid vaccination clinic in Northolt. Typhoid fever is endemic in many poor and developing countries characterised by a lack of sanitation and clean water. It is easy to protect yourself against typhoid with the typhoid injection.
What are the causes of typhoid?
Typhoid is caused by bacteria which is passed from sick people via their faeces and easily spread in areas where there is bad sanitation or poor food hygiene. Certain foods like raw vegetables and shellfish are popular sources of contagion.
What are the symptoms of typhoid fever?
Typhoid fever produces several symptoms which can include::-
- a continuous fever
- exhaustion and weakness
- stomach pain
- diarrhoea or constipation
- loss of interest in food
How to prevent typhoid fever?
The main way to protect against typhoid fever if you are travelling to parts of the world where it could be a problem is to have a typhoid fever vaccine. There are two different types of vaccine:-
- Vi vaccine – this is one single injection against typhoid
- Ty21a vaccine – this is the oral typhoid vaccine given as three capsules taken on alternate days
Even if you have had the typhoid fever vaccine you can’t always be entirely protected against the disease and there are further steps you should take to protect yourself whilst you are abroad and these include:-
- Wash your hands frequently particularly before eating or preparing food and after you have used the toilet. Carry an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with you at all times
- Contaminated drinking water can be a real problem in some areas so only drink bottled water or bottled drinks. Never have ice in your drinks and only use bottled water to brush your teeth
- Avoid eating raw fruit and vegetables
- Only buy food from reputable restaurants, avoid street vendors and only eat food which is piping hot, do not choose salads