- Hepatitis B is an infection of the liver that is spread through blood and bodily fluids. It is a vaccine preventable illness and Hepatitis B vaccines are given as a part of routine vaccinations for children. The Hepatitis B vaccine is recommended if one travels to a country where the Hepatitis B virus is endemic, such as Africa, South America or SouthEast Asia. Touchwood Pharmacy offers the Hepatitis B travel vaccine for international travellers at our vaccine clinics in Northampton, Streatham and Sydenham.
How is Hepatitis B spread?
- In utero (pregnant mother to child)
- Sharing needles or drug equipment during drug use
- Unprotected sex with an infected person
- Unhygienic tattoos and body piercing
- Blood transfusions in countries where donations are not screened for Hepatitis B
- Sharing toothbrushes or razors with infected persons
- Accidental punctures of needles by health care workers
- Accidental blood intrusion of infected person into non infected person’s blood
Where are high risk areas for Hepatitis B?
Whilst Hepatitis B can occur throughout the world, there are areas of the world in which it is more common. It is advised to obtain a Hepatitis B vaccine if you plan to travel to these areas:
- Sub-Saharan Africa
- East and southeast Asia
- The Pacific Islands
- Parts of South America
- Southern parts of eastern and central Europe
- The Middle East
- The Indian Subcontinent
Statistics have shown that most of the new Hepatitis B cases in the UK are people who caught the infection whilst in one of the endemic areas listed above before arriving in the UK.
Hepatitis B screening is both available and recommended for those at high risk of both contracting or spreading the Hepatitis B virus. It is a simple blood test and can be performed upon request, whether or not you are experiencing symptoms.
Please book in to our vaccination clinic at Touchwood Pharmacy and receive up to date information and advice pertaining to Hepatitis B in regards to your risk and your need for vaccination. You can book your appointment online for the Hepatitis B vaccine or any international travel vaccinations at our Streatham, Northampton or Sydenham clinics today. www.touchwoodpharmacy.com