How long does the yellow fever vaccine last?
Yellow fever is a viral infection that is passed to people by mosquito bites. It can be found in parts of Africa, south America central America and Trinidad in the Caribbean. Once infected, the virus can damage the liver and other internal organs and be potentially fatal in some people who develop more serious symptoms. There is no cure for the infection itself. However, medical treatment focus on easing the symptoms while your body fights off the infection. The symptoms associated with yellow fever include include, Headaches, muscle soreness and yellowing of the skin know as jaundice. It is best to catch the infection early, the first symptoms usually develop 3 – 6 days after being infected. It is recommended that people who are traveling to high endemic area should be vaccinated to prevent the risk of getting yellow fever.
The best way to prevent yellow fever is by being vaccinated. The vaccine is given by injection in the upper arm area. It is both safe and affordable, one single dose can provide life-long protection against the disease.
What are the Yellow vaccine requirements?
- The yellow vaccine is recommended to people who are travelling to an area that the disease is most common such as parts of Africa, South America, Central America and Trinidad in the Caribbean.
- The vaccine is suitable from the age of 9 months and older.
- It is not recommended for people who are 60 years and older.
- IF you are traveling to a country that requires a certificate proving that you have been vaccinated against yellow fever.
- Make sure that you are at least 10 days before you travel to allow the vaccine to work.
Where to get the yellow fever vaccine and how much will it cost?
Touchwood Pharmacy provide affordable and safe yellow fever vaccination. Head into one of our clinics located in Bromley and Hanwell, here our qualified staff will discuss the risks and benefits of receiving the vaccine. The Yellow fever vaccine is not available for free on the NHS, Contact Touchwood Pharmacy for price of the vaccine so you can keep yourself and other safe.