Shingles is a painful skin rash caused by the same virus that gives you chickenpox. It shows up with a painful rash and usually lasts 2 to 4 weeks. With shingles symptoms of pain, burning, itching, and all-around discomfort, the symptoms can be tough to ride out. You can’t make an outbreak of shingles go away any faster, but you can do a lot of things on your own to make yourself more comfortable.
Try these prescribed and over-the-counter medications and simple home-remedies for treating shingles to manage the uncomfortable symptoms of shingles.
There’s no cure for shingles but treating it as soon as possible can speed up your recovery. Ideally, you should get treatment within 72 hours of developing symptoms. Your doctor may prescribe medications to ease symptoms and shorten the length of the infection.
The best way to prevent getting shingles is to book an appointment online at Touchwood pharmacy to get the shingles vaccination in Streatham or at any of our many locations throughout the greater London area. The shingles vaccine is 90% effective in preventing shingles and lasts a lifetime.
You’ll probably get one of these prescription medications from your doctor to fight the virus:
- Acyclovir (Zovirax)
- Famciclovir (Famvir)
- Valacyclovir (Valtrex)
- Prescription painkillers like codeine
Over-the-counter treatments for shingles pain can include:
- Medicated lotion and numbing medications like lidocaine
- Acetaminophen or ibuprofen
Home Remedies for Shingles
Your top priority is to find relief for the pain and itching that the rash causes.
You might try:
- Oatmeal baths
- Cold compresses
- Loose clothing
- Calamine lotion
Treat Your Body and Mind
Self-care starts with treating your rash, but don’t stop there. Your mind and emotional state need to be cared for as well when you are in constant pain.
Try these methods to help you remain calm:
- Stick with good habits such as eating healthy
- Try to get a good night’s sleep and rest anytime you need to.
- Do gentle exercises, such as walking or stretching. Light activity can help take your mind off the pain.
- Distract yourself from the discomfort by calling a friend, listening to music that relaxes you, or watch a favourite movie
- Stay relaxed. You can try Meditation, Tai chi, Walking, or Yoga
Our trained and friendly clinicians at Touchwood pharmacy can offer helpful advice about how best to manage the discomfort of shingles and suggest treatments to relieve pain.
To prevent shingles and its painful symptoms, consider getting the shingles vaccination in Sydenham Touchwood branch or any of our branches throughout the greater London area.