Diabetes is becoming more common each year in the UK. Type 1 diabetes is a condition people are often born with or develop at a young age, but type 2 diabetes usually develops later in life. If diabetes is left unmanaged, serious complications can occur.
Diabetes can only be diagnosed through medical tests. If you are experiencing symptoms like extreme thirst, frequent urination, blurry vision, and severe fatigue, you should get tested for diabetes.
People who fall into certain categories should also get tested as a precautionary measure even if they aren’t symptomatic.
Risk Factors for Diabetes
- A BMI over 25
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Heart disease
- A family history of diabetes
- A history of PCOS or gestational diabetes
- Being over the age of 45
People who do not engage in regular exercise of physical activity should also consider getting tested.
Blood Tests for Diabetes
There are several different types of blood tests that can be carried out if your healthcare provider suspects you have diabetes.
- A1c Test: The A1c test is one of the most common blood tests for diabetes and it measures your average blood sugar over a period of 3 months. Only a small amount of blood is required.
- Fasting Blood Sugar Test: You’ll be asked to refrain from eating for at least 8-12 hours. It’s usually scheduled in the morning after you’ve slept through most of this period.
- Random Blood Sugar Test: This test takes your blood at no specific time with no restrictions on when you last age.
- Oral Glucose Tolerance Test: an OGTT takes place over 2 hours, starting with your blood sugar being tested. You’ll then be given a sugary beverage and your blood sugar will be tested again 2 hours later.
Private Diabetes Blood Tests in Camberley
Avoid waiting lists and referrals by booking private diabetes blood tests in Hanwell and Northampton. Touchwood Pharmacy offers comprehensive blood testing to the local community, helping them take control of their health as well as diagnose any symptoms.
If you suspect you have diabetes, you can arrange convenient and affordable private diabetes blood tests in Walsall by contacting us or booking online.