Meningitis is the one word which can strike fear into the heart of any parent- it is a very serious illness and can result in life-changing complications even with prompt treatment. If you are looking for the Meningitis vaccination in Northampton then our Meningitis vaccination service will provide you with all the advice and support that you need.
What are the key facts about Meningitis?
- Bacterial meningitis is a serious infection of the fluid in the spinal cord and the fluid that surrounds the brain
- There are three main types of bacteria that cause meningitis
- The bacteria can be spread by close contact with the mucus and discharge from the nose or throat of an infected person
- Bacterial meningitis can be treated with antibiotics
- Key to successful treatment is rapid diagnosis
What is the best form of prevention against meningitis?
The best form of prevention against meningitis is to have the meningitis vaccination. Not all forms of meningitis are covered by the vaccination so being aware of the disease and its specific symptoms remains crucial to early detection and this includes dispelling some of the myths about meningitis.
Myths about meningitis
- Only babies get meningitis
- There is always a rash with meningitis
- If your child is vaccinated then they cannot contract meningitis – not all types of meningitis can be prevented via vaccination
- The viral form of meningitis is less serious and never results in complications
Risk factors for meningitis
Being aware of the risk factors for meningitis will help you and your family stay safe from this disease. The risk increases for those who have not completed the recommended adult or childhood vaccination programme. The risk is also increased within a community setting, during pregnancy and for those with a compromised immune system.
Our Meningitis vaccination service offers all the information and advice that you need about meningitis and meningitis prevention. If you want the Meningitis vaccination in Northampton then we can provide this at our immunisation clinic. There is more information available on our website https://www.touchwoodpharmacy.com/